The Westfield Leader since 1890
since 1890

Help For Flood Victims of Union County, NJ - Cranford Was Hard Hit, Many Lost Everything

11sep02 THE PROBLEM: Several hundred; a few thousand people had their homes destroyed by the flood Sunday, August 28, 2011. They lost everything. We've received emails from Westfield and surrounding towns; people willing to help the children in Cranford who now do not have clothing for school. Several fortunate families have very good children's clothing available; children outgrew them, etc.; they are willing to give them to those in need. How do we connect them to make this happen?

Willing to help? How do we do this? View the flood damage here.

Rep. Lance, office on North Avenue, Westfield nearby to Cranford offers to serve as a distribution center.
7th Congressional District; Representative Leonard Lance, 425 North Avenue E., Westfield, NJ 07090 (908) 518-7733
Sen. Thomas Kean, Jr.; 425 North Ave. E.; Westfield, N.J. 07090; (908) 232-3673; senkean@njleg.org
Asm. Jon Bramnick; 251 North Ave. West; Westfield, N.J. 07090; (908) 232-2073; asmbramnick@njleg.org
Asm. Nancy Munoz; 57 Union Place, Suite 310; Summit, N.J. 07901; (908) 918-0414; aswmunoz@njleg.org
Freeholder Bette Jane Kowalski of Cranford - email
Cranford Mayor Dan Aschenback

The Westfield Leader & The Scotch Plains-Fanwood Times
PO Box 250, 251 North Ave. West, Westfield, NJ 07091
Tel 908 232-4407; fax 908 232-0473 contact

Please provide your email, phone, suggestions and details below if:
You Need Help; or Know of Someone Who Needs Help; Or You Can Help
Your first name: last name: email: phone: (w/ac)
Provide details below, 20 words minimum.

Your information above will be sent to the officials listed above organizing help. You will be copied.

Cranford - Hurricane Relief Fund; Rising Above - A Musical Celebration of Hope
Please join us as our community comes together to help those in Cranford who were devastated by Hurricane Irene. All proceeds will go to Cranford Family Care Hurricane Relief Fund.
Saturday, September 17, 2011 at 6:30pm; Cranford High School, 201 West End Place,Cranford; $20 per person in advance/$ 25 at the door. 
Musical Performances by local talent and Tricky Tray.
For Tickets, contact Ginger Burd at gburd2@verizon.net or 908-272-4315. Tickets can also be purchased at Cougar Headquarters, 415 Centennial Ave, 908-497-9900 and at Cranford High School in the mail office. 
Checks should be made payable to Cranford Family Care. Cranford Family Care is a 503(c) charitable organization. Tax Id# 02215085691
Westfield – Congressman Leonard Lance's congressional district offices in Westfield and Flemington are accepting food and clothing to assist area flood victims in Hunterdon, Middlesex, Somerset and Union counties. Donations for common household cleaning supplies, like trash bags, mops, bleach, and disinfectants are also being collected.

Specifically, the clothing and food drive will take place Tuesday, September 6 through Friday, September 16, 2011. Donations may be dropped off at the following locations:
Lance’s Westfield Office is located at 425 North Avenue East. Residents with questions may call 908-518-7733.

Lance’s Flemington Office is located 23 Royal Road (Suite 101). Residents may call 908-788-6900 with questions.
Angie Lundberg Communications Director; Angie.Lundberg@mail.house.gov


The 7th District clothing and food drive to assist area flood victims was a stunning success. My wife, Heidi, and I would like thank all who generously donated to the cause. The Salvation Army will arrive Monday to collect and distribute the items to those in need. Again, thank you for helping your fellow neighbors.”

Congressman Leonard Lance

The Garwood Knights of Columbus are collecting canned & dry food goods, personal toiletries, (soap, shampoo toothpaste, etc) laundry soap, kitchen supplies & supermarket gift cards on behalf of the residents of Cranford who were effected by Hurricane Irene. Donations can be dropped off after 4:00pm weekdays at the Knights Hall, 37 South Ave, Garwood. (Opposite PathMark) parking available behind the hall off Willow Ave. (Turn at Marty Shoes) Monetary donations for the purchase of supermarket gift cards, please make payable to "Garwood KofC Emergency Food Drive", attention Keith Gallagher. For more info call the Knights at 908-789-9809, or Keith Gallagher at 908 789-0931.
September 7, 2011
FEMA Media Contact: 732-814-4085
State: 609-882-2000, ext. 7833
Recovery News


TRENTON, N.J. – More than 50,000 New Jerseyans are expected to seek federal assistance for their losses from Hurricane Irene, according to disaster recovery officials. 

Recording the damage at each individual household is the responsibility of the inspectors sent by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). Identifying damage is an early step in determining the amount and types of assistance that may be provided.

“There are nearly 500 inspectors in the field,” said FEMA’s William L. Vogel, the federal coordinating officer. “Inspections are a key component in the recovery process.”

Being ready when the inspector visits can help speed assistance.

Here’s what to expect: A FEMA inspector will contact you at the number you provided FEMA when you registered to schedule an appointment to inspect your damaged home. Provide the inspector with clear, accurate directions to the damaged property. Post office boxes do not show locations.

FEMA contracts for all inspections. The inspector is required to carry identification that includes his or her photo and ID number. When the inspector comes to your home, ask to see the identification. 

Be prepared to provide written proof of ownership, such as a tax receipt, deed, mortgage payment book, or home insurance policy showing the damaged property’s address. Having the necessary documentation will help speed up the inspection process.

The inspector will not ask you for your Social Security number, your bank account or credit card account numbers or for medical information. If someone claiming to be with FEMA asks you to provide such information, call your local law enforcement immediately.

Whether you are an owner or a renter, you must show that the damaged property was your primary residence at the time of the disaster. Inspectors will accept a valid driver’s license or current utility bill (such as an electric, gas or water bill) as proof of occupancy.

The inspection is free. It usually takes between 45 minutes and an hour, and consists of measuring the real property, inspecting its contents, and recording the findings.

Using a handheld electronic device, the inspector creates a digital “model” of the damaged home and uses it to indicate where damage occurred. The device — called an inspector’s pad —transmits information electronically to FEMA. This speeds up the process of providing assistance.

The inspector will ask to see damage to both real property and personal property in all areas of your home. This is to inventory both the type and extent of loss. For example, not all disaster damage results in a complete loss. The inspector’s report will show which items are total losses; which items can be repaired; and those that are not affected. FEMA will not replace damaged items that can be repaired with new items.

Finally, the inspector does not determine whether you are eligible for assistance, and should not tell you what you may or may not receive. Typically, in 10 days or less after the inspector’s visit, you will receive a letter from FEMA containing a decision.

Additional information on the process is available at www.disasterassistance.gov.